Archive for February 25th, 2010

As I shared yesterday, my son will soon be transferring to a private school that specializes in working with children with ADHD and learning disabilities. Hub and I are hopeful that this school can offer the “miracle cure” that we need. Our son is far too bright to be failing third grade.

I took my son to the school yesterday to do reading and math assessments. While he did this, I met with the headmaster, wrote a very large check (Yikes!), and then filled out a big packet of paperwork – all of those pesky forms that you have to fill out whenever you enroll a child in a school.

This form had a question on it that has never come up before. The school wanted to know the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the student’s grandparents. Both my father and hub’s mother are dead, and I had no problem with providing that information for hub’s father, but there was no way in hell I was going to write down my mother/abuser’s information on the form (nor did I even know it, to be quite honest.)

I wasn’t quite sure how to handle this, so I asked the librarian (I was filling out the forms in the library) what I should write down when I am estranged from my mother due to abuse and don’t want her anywhere near my kid. I am sure she was taken aback by my bluntness, but she said, “Just write N/A, and don’t worry about it. That information is only if you want to provide it.”

So, now you know — If you don’t want to disclose contact information for your abusive parent on a form, you can just write “N/A.” That keeps you from having to lie about it (such as claiming that the person is dead) but still protects your child. Why didn’t I think of that myself??

Photo credit: Lynda Bernhardt

Read Full Post »